Monday, March 28, 2016

Why we Practice Yoga?


Greetings Sadhakas,

This week in class we are considering why we practice Yoga.

The body is mortal, but the person dwelling in the body is immortal and immeasurable.                                                                       
                                                            - Bhagavad Gita

When I say that this body is not me, I am not making an intellectual statement. It is an experiential statement. If you were to ask me, "Who is this body?" I would make an awful pun: "This is my buddy. I give him good food and good exercise, and I look after him very well, but he is not me."

My body has always been my faithful buddy, through many trials, and during many difficult times; and I let him know how much I appreciate his faithful service. We have an understanding: I take very good care of him, and he looks up to me as the boss. As Saint Francis used to say, "This body is Brother Donkey. I feed him, I wash him, but I am going to ride on him." Whenever we use drugs, or smoke, or drink, or even overeat, the donkey is riding on us. Francis challenges us: "Don't you want to get that donkey off your back and ride on it?"

Words to Live By: Inspiration for Every Day – Eknath Easwaran

The homework is to revisit why you practice Yoga considering how the eight limbs and other philosophical concepts provide you with the framework for “getting the donkey off of your back”.

Blessings,

paul cheek
Rushing Water Yoga
417 NE Birch St., Camas, WA 98607
360.834.5994
www.rushingwateryoga.com
info@rushingwateryoga.com

Serving Yoga to Camas, Washougal, and Vancouver Washington since 2003

No comments: